Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tastes of China

This last month has been rife with things that I've been wanting to do for the past 6 months, and just hadn't gotten around to yet. Going to a tailor, finishing off my restaurant list (didn't make it to lunch at Maison Boulod!), and learning to make chinese food. On Monday I attended a Tastes of China cooking class at The Hutong. http://thehutong.com/blog/  The Canadian chef, Joel, guided us through 3 regional dishes: a Sichuan Chili Fried Lotus Root, a Hunan Braised Pork, and a Steamed Eggplant dish. We chopped rolling cuts, drank pu'er tea, and ate our creations til the late hours of the evening. How delicious. I can't wait to get back to the states and begin building my asian cuisine repetoire. Now I just have to find lotus root back home.


Chef Joel.
photo courtesy of Jane Menon

prepping
photo courtesy of Jane Menon

Braised pork....I can't wait to try this one on my own
photo courtesy of Jane Menon

Fried lotus root
photo courtesy of Jane Menon

chef Joel and his group from around the world: the US, Europe, Australia, Ireland
photo courtesy of Jane Menon

No comments:

Post a Comment