Sunday, October 16, 2011

Italy is Oakland is Paris is Italy is Oakland

I really want to live in Europe. After studying in Paris and touring Switzerland and Italy, I fell madly in love with their joie de vivre, impressive architecture, love of beauty, and pursuit of authentic food. There's just nothing like it.

At least, I thought so until Brian and I took a jaunt around our new hometown of Oakland. Tell me this is not Europe.

Foot-bound by a nail in my car's rear tire, we started with savoring margarita pizza slices and pellegrino aranciatas at an outdoor cafe, followed by a slow saunter around Lake Merritt. Across the lake narrow buildings crowd the edges and climb the hillside, offering views of the sparkling water and sleek black gondolas skimming by.



Strolling through downtown Oakland we happened upon multiple buildings, some that made us stare up for minutes on end, admiring the details and the history, others that made us grin in delight, laughing in joy at our good fortune and adventure. Check out that sky and those colors!





The afternoon was made perfect by ice cream at the famous ICI. Owned by the former pastry chef from Alice Waters' Chez Panisse, Ici is a delight to the lines of customers that wait patiently along the sidewalk. Candied Meyer Lemon, Mint Chocolate, Raspberry, Rose Vanilla, and Vanilla Malt with Sour Cherry, to name a few favorites. Brian and I marveled in delight at the root beer floats, huckleberry meringue cakes and homemade ice cream sandwiches, then slowly walked back home, licking our two-scoops in fresh sugar cones. That is until I inadvertently pushed mine off and had to use my amazing hand-eye coordination to catch the ice-cream with my bare hands.



Inspired, I made almond meringue cookies. To drink with French-pressed coffee, of course. I think it's safe to say that we're enjoying ourselves.


1 comment:

  1. I love you, Leah Chambers, and your passion-filled stories!

    ReplyDelete